What is Extracorporeal Radial Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave Therapy is a series of high-energy percussions to the painful area. The shockwave is a physical pressure wave ‘shock’, not an electric one.
How does it work?
- Treatment produces an inflammatory response. The body responds by increasing metabolic activity around the site of pain. This stimulates and accelerates the healing process promoting the remodelling of dysfunctional collagenous tissues, such as tendon injuries, trigger points, muscle strain etc.
- Shockwaves break down scar tissue and/or calcification.
- Transmission of pain is diminished through neurological mechanisms which cause inhibition of pain receptors.
Will it work for me?
Helping improve chronic musculoskeletal conditions :
- Tendinopathies, e.g. plantar fasciitis, tennis/golfer’s elbow, Achilles tendon pain and Patella tendon pain.
- Myofascial trigger points – localised tender or painful areas.